Friday, September 11, 2015

The Elusive Happiness Part 2: Money and Happiness

After successfully summiting Kilimanjaro, a state of deep humility began to prepare fertile ground
within me. During my homeward-bound flight departing from this magnificent mountainous country and her amazing people, many questions bubbled up from that ripe place within. And, I wistfully pondered the meaning of it all.

Transitioning back to the "Real World" was difficult for me as it is for many who encounter life far beyond the boundaries of their normal day-to-day experience. The tight boundaries of my beliefs and understandings were beginning to stretch and expand never to contract again. Inspired by our trip leader, Rick French, I was beginning to question which world was more "real". Was it more real back in the sheltered, virtual, "Disney-like" world , of the affluent West or was it more real within the humble hearts and simple life of the genuinely content people of this poor African country?

Shortly after my return, I learned that the average annual income of a Tanzanian is about $500 US. That's $500 annual; income for a family! Remembering the profound impact of the shared joy of my African comrades, questions bubbled up within me about the relationship between money and happiness. Does money really make us happy, as the ads on television and Internet (not to mention the culture of the West) tries to convince? Chuckling to myself sarcastically, I began to playfully consider whether my next purchase was going to be the one to tip the scales of perpetual happiness for me. Soberly, I genuinely was beginning to understand that this was probably not ever going to be the case and I began to wonder if there was any research on the relationship between money and happiness.

As it turns out, the suspicions subjectively rising from my experiences in Africa have indeed been validated by others. (refer to the figure below) The vertical axis represents a rating of happiness experienced which is plotted against the horizontal graph representing the years 1950 to 2008.

Data from the Historical Statistics of the United States and Economic Indicators, Myers


As the figure shows, the average American, though certainly richer, is not a bit happier. In 1957, some 35 percent said they were “very happy,” as did slightly fewer-32 percent-in 2008. Much the same has been true of Europe, Australia, and Japan, where increasing real incomes have not produced increasing happiness (Australian Unity, 2008; Diener & Biswas - Diener, 2002, 2009; Di Tella & MacCulloch, 2010). Ditto China, where living standards have risen but satisfaction has not (Brockmann et al., 2009). These findings lob a bombshell at modern materialism: Economic growth in affluent countries has provided no apparent boost to morale or social well - being. (reference Psychology by David G. Myer)

So, here in the West (aka the Real World) many of our decisions are based on the unfounded belief that more money will bring more happiness. It was as if I had been putting all of my energy and time into the expectation of a sunrise that was never going to happen. I could see clearly the cascading effect of the many decisions of my short life in pursuit of happiness were really taking me nowhere. Although I was completely bewildered and disillusioned, a hopeful smile eventually  began to stretch across my face, heart, and entire being. This was a smile of understanding. No longer blinded, my new perspective gave me the impetus and insight necessary to overcome the obstacles for a much-needed change in my life.

OK. So it's not money, which is not to say that money is inherently bad. In fact, there is a minimum level of money, which can bring us to a desirable state just above survival and safety needs that contributes greatly to our level of happiness. And, anything above that should not necessarily detract from that happiness. But to become truly happy,, we apparently need something more. At that moment, I began to intensely wonder, "what was that something and where could it be found?" (to be continued)

Enjoy everything that happens in your life, but never make your happiness or success dependent on an attachment to any person, place or thing.
- Wayne Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment